Saturday, June 4, 2011

This week and last week in DVD

Drive Angry: Wouldn't it be cool if this were not a FRENETIC THRILLER but rather a laid-back, quirky movie about a guy just driving around all ticked off because gas prices were so high? I think he could make it work given the right material. He's given enough quirky performances lately, but how about starring in a quirky movie?

Biutiful: Javier Bardem stars in another depressing movie. I guess the guy's doing something right, though, or at least the Academy thinks so. Or at least Julia Roberts, who lobbied hard for his Oscar nomination, thinks so. And what does Penelope cruz think about Bardem's friendship with Roberts? Well, I have no idea, and it's kind of irrelevant, but isn't that a more fun situation to ponder than a guy struggling to raise his kids despite his junkie ex-wife, then learning he has a terminal illness?

Passion Play: Now, this sounds interestingly random, or maybe randomly interesting: A supposedly noirish film with Bill Murray as a gangster, Megan Fox as a "beautiful and mysterious sideshow attraction," and Mickey Rourke. I think adding Mickey Rourke to any cast list makes it seem random. Still, I wonder, where the heck did this come from? Might be worth a look.

I Am Number Four: I had my "Prisoner" references all lined up until I realized I probably made them already...just a few months ago when the dang movie came out. I barely had time to digest not wanting to see it in the theater, and now I have to worry about not seeing it on DVD? We really need to extend these release windows.

Gnomeo & Juliet: If you tolerated it with your kids at the multiplex...you'll love buying it for them and seeing it several times a week in your home!

No comments: