Thursday, March 21, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

It's such a big DVD week, I'm not going to  spend any time fretting over what's new on  streaming. If anyone wants to talk about WWE's 100 Greatest Raw Moments on Netflix, I'll listen.

Zero Dark Thirty: Leave it to our society to fret about the utility of torture instead of just enjoying that we killed a terrorist leader. Did none of the people who argued about the "controversy" of this movie watch a little TV show called "The Jack Bauer Power Hour?" (OK, "24," if you will?) That series proved definitively that torture works...except when it doesn't. 'Nuff said!

Les Miserables: Now you can give Anne Hathaway a standing ovation from the comfort of your own home. I already did that years ago when I saw her nude scenes in "Havoc."

The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey: It's directed by Peter Jackson. It's hella long. It's surely gonna be re-released in some kind of extra-special edition next year. What exactly is "unexpected" about this journey?

Bachelorettes: Any resemblance between this and "Bridesmaids" is strictly intentional. Synopsis from Video ETA reads: In this racy, razor sharp comedy, a group of old friends reunite to throw the perfect bachelorette party, but instead end up in a wild and hilarious race against the clock to save their friend's wedding. I never really associated Kirsten Dunst with "wild and hilarious."

This is 40: There's something weird about the fact that Judd Apatow made his wife play the most unlikable character in "Knocked Up." Both the wife and character are back in this one, but hopefully as leads there is a little bit more going on with her and Paul Rudd. The fact that This is 130 or so--minutes, that is--doesn't bode well for the quality of the film, in my opinion. There is an unrated DVD version with 3 more minutes, but sadly none of them include Anne Hathaway.
Rust and Bone: One of those movies that when you see the title, you think, "This is important for some reason, but I can't remember why."

What, you don't expect me to remember, do you?

Straight A's: I know nothing about this movie except that when I see Ryan Philippe on the cover under the phrase "Straight A's," it must be a comedy.

Price Check: Starring Parker Posey, who in her prime was in 32% of all movies released domestically. Maybe she's getting her numbers back up.

2013 Allstate Sugar Bowl: Finally, own the classic match-up between the...uh, who played in the Sugar Bowl, again?

Badlands: Well, first I knew I ought to like this movie more than I actually did because it was "A Terence Malick Film." Now I know I ought to like it more than I do because it's a Criterion Collection film.

No comments: