Thursday, January 21, 2016

Brooks on Books: Revising my review of the new Maltin Classic Movie Guide

I got a refund for the defective "Classic Movie Guide," then re-ordered it (I would have been happy to just get a replacement, but that's not the way it was meant to be), and I can report that THIS version of the book has all the pages...or at least, it seems to have all the pages. I haven't had time to look at them all yet.

Now that I have access  to pages 465 through 496, I can look at entries like "Murder Is My Business" (1946, Hugh Beaumont as Michael Shayne) and Northwest Stampede (1948, a "formulaic oater" starring Joan Leslie). The book is more complete. It's still not COMPLETE complete, and the fact that there are so many movies on streaming and TCM that aren't in here makes me give this "only" ***.5 out of ****, but I still love the hell out of it and just wish it were bigger.

No comments: