Wednesday, November 9, 2016

5 things you didn't know about Rick Astley (Rick reads Entertainment Weekly So You Don't Have to)

I chuckled at finding an article on 80s superstar (it wasn't all fun and games back then, kids) Rick Astley in Entertainment Weekly recently. I don't know if he really is a humble. decent guy, but he sounds like one in the article. Here are 5 things I learned:

1) Astley turned 50 in February, and that's the name of his new album. 50, that is, not February. Hey, wouldn't it be great if someone released an album called February in the fall?

OK, this item isn't all that interesting, but it IS news to me. It'll get better.

2) Astley turned to music to escape a somewhat dark childhood, including a broken home.

3) The producers who discovered Astley in England put him to work as a "tea boy," which is apparently NOT some kind of euphemism.

4) He developed a fear of flying at the height of his fame, and he now believes it was a subconscious desire to get out of the business. So he became a stay-at-home dad.

5) He slowly got back into performing when he accepted an offer to play dates in Japan, mainly so his family could tour the country. Now he tours, playing his hits alongside covers like "Highway to Hell." WHAT?

Am I a Rick Astley fan? No. Am I going to seek out this new album? No. Am I--wait, what was my point again?

Ah, yes. My point was that I actually enjoyed this article by Clark Collis, and to Rick Astley, I say, fair play, mate. Good luck to you.

Plus I was listening to 1980s light hits lately, and I heard Astley's "It Would Take a Strong Strong Man" TWICE. I can't get it out of my head! I hope this post purges it somehow.

No comments: