Thursday, February 2, 2017

On the Radio: "You May Be Right" by Billy Joel

I'm gonna get right to it this time: Why in the heck does Billy Joel's character tell a woman, "and you told me NOTS to drive," in this song?

Seriously. Listen to it again. The official lyric is:

And you told me not to drive
But I made it home alive
So you said that only proves that I'm insane

Sure, that's what Big Publishing WANTS us to think. But what Joel actually says is, "You told me NOTS to drive."   What's up with that?

Is it supposed to show how CRAZY this guy is? "Whoa, that lunatic talks like Sheldon Leonard! He IS insane!" (NOTE: I have no idea what that Sheldon Leonard reference means)

Is it Billy Joel's way of slipping in something a little extra edgy? Does it have something to do, somehow, some way, with dynamic range/mixing/some other technical aspect of the recording process I don't actually care about?

Am I crazy?

No comments: