Saturday, June 17, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings Week 64 (Special "Hey, we could put all these into a big tournament bracket" edition)

1) Hulu: Yes, it's time for Hulu to take over the top spot again. It didn't really do all that much, but it does have Star Trek Beyond this weekend. Handmaid's Tale concluded and may turn out to be a difference maker. Cardinal is new. Catch The Brady Bunch Movie before it leaves at the end of the month. Mostly, though, I'm happy to see Seinfeld.

2) Netflix: Netflix slips despite premiering "Part 3" of The Ranch. Let's face it, calling it "Part 3" costs it some points. Count me unimpressed by the new seasons of Shonda Rimes shows showing up.

3) Seeso: Amid news of layoffs, which come after the news that the SVOD service was scaling back on original programming, let's honor it with a high position because it looks like it ain't gonna get any better. As much as I'd like to see the strategy shift to buying rights to rare sitcoms and putting them up there, I fear that's not going to happen. I still think there's a decent concept here, but it just needed more content to grab people for 3.99 a month.

4) Warner Archive Instant: Would rate high this week on the strength of an epic touch football game involving the Bradfords., but also, just in time for Father's Day, the complete series of The Courtship of Eddie's Father, which I think is making its debut on WAI.

5) Shout! TV: I really hate that it takes me an hour and a half to watch a 45-minute program with all the commercials, but you gotta love Shout! for putting up these old, poor-quality Good Sex with Dr. Ruth episodes from Lifetime in the 1980s. Highlight of the first episode: Dr. Ruth asking Burt Reynolds why he chews gum, then asking him if he chews gum while making love.

6) MLB.TV: The Pirates looked pretty good in their retro unis last night.  By the way, this is one of the rare services out there that

7) YouTube: I really feel like YT should be drummed out of the top 10 for deleting the account of one of the best old-school wrestling uploaders, but there is still plenty of good 1980s WWF content on there (SHH!), plus I enjoyed an episode of the Red Buttons sitcom The Double Life of Henry Phyfe and my man Sean Mc and some others uploaded some great promos and commercials. All this gets YouTube a good ranking even though it was actually down for a while the other day

8) Pub-D-Hub: The weekly update was highlighted by an episode of the Boston Blackie TV series and a clip of Penny Singleton singing "Varsity Drag" from Good News.

9) TubiTV: I had a sudden and inexplicable urge to watch the failed 2014 FX Kelsey Grammer/Martin Lawrence sitcom Partners when I saw it was on here, but Tubi gets docked a point or two for loading up a live video feed (Newsy) when I start the channel. It's annoying and distracting when I'm trying to

10) Amazon: Because my podcast co-conspirator reminded me that you can still find goofy crap like old Three Stooges public domain shorts on Prime Video alongside stuff like...well, like Star Trek Beyond, which also premieres here this weekend.

No comments: