Saturday, July 29, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings Week #70 (Special "70th anniversary, and by that I mean the 70th one" edition)

1) Hulu: It was Golden Girls and Mary Tyler Moore for me this week. Uh, and also, uh, Rambo and Ninjas and guns and stuff.

But Hulu also announced some interesting things at the TCA tour, including the acquisition of 5 long-running ABC TGIF sitcoms. I loathe all of those shows, but again, Hulu continues to grab catalog content when Netflix has given up on it.

2) Netflix: The Incredible Jessica James is well regarded as an enjoyable romantic comedy movie, but I still feel like people  are sleeping on The Adventures of Puss in Boots. I include myself in that category. A new season just dropped, people! I will make it a point to catch up on it, along with the dozen other Netflix originals upon which I am catching (?).

It's a slow week for Netflix, but I actually enjoyed watching several things on there, and ultimately, these rankings are not only about what's new, but what is ON and what I am--I mean what we are all enjoying. Hulu is surging, though, Netflix, and it's gonna take a little more effort to regain that stranglehold on the top spot.

3) YouTube: PRO Classic TV continues uploading stuff like Cisco Kid and Rifleman, and I continue to be amazed at the amount of old NFL game footage on here. I really, really miss the great channel that had tons of complete vintage MLB games, though.

I also give YT credit for being (apparently) the only channel of any kind anywhere that my kids want to watch. I can't even sell them on Puss in Boots.

4) WWE Network: I always like to give credit where it's due, and uploading dozens of episodes of World Class Championship Wrestling deserves kudos. It's getting to the point where I am tempted to re-up once they fill in the gaps in shows like that.

5) Nosey: Uh-oh. I am really getting into this channel and have now watched several old episodes of Sally. I may have a problem here.

Strike that. I have a problem. The question is whether I can claw my way out of this before I start hitting the old episodes of Geraldo.

6) Days of Dumont: After listening to Jamie Farr on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast tell stories Ralph Bellamy told him about working on Man Against Crime, I turned it to Days of Dumont for some vintage episodes. What's not to love about that sentence?

7) Warner Archive Instant: I am docking WAI for the lack of updates this month, but I just can't stay mad at a service that gives me Don Johnson on Eight Is Enough.

8) MLB.TV: Losing to the Giants and the Padres? Really, Pittsburgh? I may have to adopt a random AL West team or something and start rooting for them so I have something to look forward to each night after the Buccos lose.

9) Pub-D-Hub: I am enjoying the Great Alaskan Mystery serial on here, though I still think it can use more Edgar Kennedy. Granted, I think that about most things made in the 1930s and 1940s...

10) Amazon Prime: That The Last Tycoon series looks kind of cool. Of course, most of the reviews say it isn't that great, so I am not going to get Prime for it or anything, but it looks cool and earns Amazon a 10-spot.

No comments: