Saturday, September 30, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings #80

What a week, folks. What a week! Lot going on in my life and, more importantly, in streaming life. Do they still make Streaming Life magazine? Does Babe Winkelman show up on the cover every other month?

1) Netflix: That Seinfeld special was fun--about as close as we are gonna get to a revealing look at Jerry by Jerry--and I thought it was well conceived if unspectacular. I was not super impressed with 13 Reasons Why, but I am impressed with myself for finally finishing the season. And I am still loving the classic shows on Netflix. Yes, there still are some!

As for new material, there's a Bob Redford/Hanoi Jane movie, a few new seasons of returning original series, and--whoa, wait, they did another season of that Rob Schneider thing? Is there another streaming service out there that didn't just screw its customers with an unnecessary user interface change?

2) Hulu: It added hundreds of old TV episodes this week--granted, I have no interest in watching Full House or Home Improvement, but still, Hulu is at least trying. In addition to the old TGIF stuff, it added reruns of Mom and started debuting the new fall TV shows. It's still enjoying the afterglow of a big night at the Emmys. All this, AND it  has a free preview of HBO this weekend.

So why is it not number one? That interface on the Roku, man. It's terrible. I'll need at least another week or two before I can consider giving it the top spot again.

3) PlayStation Vue: Not really a channel or streaming outlet, but one of those cable alternative deals. I signed up for a free trial, so I am ranking it here as a notice that I will be exploring it soon. I am hoping this is my non-cable way to enjoy the MLB playoffs.

4) Days of Dumont: This hasn't added new material in months, but it's not like there is a ton of Dumont footage sitting around. I saw a Follow That Man and a Morey Amsterdam Show this week. Morey and sidekick Art Carney are worth a ranking, I'd say.

5) Warner Archive Instant: I saw a pretty entertaining (well, for Medical Center) episode of Medical Center this week, and they at least changed the front page on their website. I don't think they actually added content, but one step at a time, right?

6) MLB.TV: The regular season is winding down, so this may be the end for MLB. I love the service, but it was an ignominious last week for me personally, as I verified that it does not include the postseason. Worse, my team was blacked out in my area for the entire final week because of who it happened to be playing.

7) TubiTV: This week's "movie I never got around to seeing in the 1980s" on Tubi: Best Defense with Dudley Moore and "Strategic Guest Star" Eddie Murphy. After watching this one, I have newfound respect for myself in the 1980s.

8) Night Flight: I don't know anyone who gets this, but it has quietly amassed an interesting library of old episodes, segments, and psychotronic-type material, and it seems to add each month. If you're at all interested in the original Night Flight, you should check this out. One of these months, I'll do so myself.

9) HBO: They get a spot because of the return of Curb Your Enthusiasm, one of the few programs that makes me say, "Hey, I kinda wish I had HBO."

10) Nosey: I quite enjoyed an old episode of The Joan Rivers Show which featured Nancy Reagan in a total babyface appearance plus Steve Garvey trying to babyface himself in the wake of his illegitimate children scandal. Joan was an eager partner for both guests.

No comments: