Monday, March 5, 2018

'Mooners Monday: Potpourri

A few notes on this 'Mooners Monday while I try to figure out why my computer's DVD drive doesn't like my Classic 39 discs anymore:

ITEM: Last week was The Great One's 100th birthday. Can you imagine Jackie Gleason at 100? No, me, neither.

Joyce Randolph, 93 years young, is still with us.

ITEM: Amazon Prime has the standalone Dean Martin roasts (that is, the full-length ones, not the ones that were segments on Martin's show), including the Gleason one. Not only do Art Carney and Audrey Meadows appear, but so do Sheila MacRae and Jane Kean...though not poor Joyce Randolph.

ITEM: The PIX 11 Roku channel still has its Honeymooners collection up, but it hasn't added much of note lately. I wish it would just put all the old episodic promos it has up and be done with it.

ITEM: In my discussion of "The Loudspeaker" last week, I didn't mention one of my favorite aspects. When Ralph struggles to tell the "knight on a dog" joke, he calls Lancelot "Launcelet." I always loved that.

LAUNCELET. Is that a New York thing? A Gleason thing? A 1950s thing? Each time I see the episode, I chuckle at that.

No comments: