Saturday, September 8, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #127: Special KICKOFF edition

I'd be tempted to put ESPN+ in this week's rankings because of the return of college football, but I tried to contact their customer service and didn't get a response until a week later, and that response did not help.

And while I'm at it, why can the NFL still not produce a decent Roku channel with interesting free content?

I think I'm done talking about channels that did not make the ratings. Let's get to the ones that did:

1) Netflix: It stands out in a slow week by just throwing a bunch of originals out there, but I'm nowhere near caught up enough to take on Iron Fist's second season. So for me it's been Cheers reruns lately. I also enjoyed seeing a few things that were expiring, like It Might Get Loud.

Who am I kidding, the main thing here is my kids trying to monopolize the TV for another Mako Mermaids marathon. While I'm being honest, I was reading a magazine from a couple months ago, and it hit me that I had totally forgotten a new season of Arrested Development came out. This week I vow to get back into some of the Netflix originals.

Hard to beat Cheers after a long day at work, though.

2) Filmstruck: I saw a couple of old John Ford comedies this week, and the service just added a ton of Ernst Lubitsch. This service is kicking it each and every week.

3) Hulu: I could talk about all the movies added for September, the return of Sarah Silverman's series,
or the addition of Comcast execs to Hulu's board--actually, I don't want to even think about something I enjoy being meddled with by Comcast--but really Hulu is high this week because I watched a great episode of Seinfeld the other day.

I think people remember The Café for the introduction of Babu, but George cheating on his IQ test is one of the all-time great scenarios on the series. I love the way he tries to casually dismiss the fact that his test has food stains on it despite him being locked inside a bedroom the whole time.

Anyway, Hulu checks in at number 3, and it should be a contender each week now that the new TV season is near.

4) Roku Channel: It added an interesting assortment of movies for September, plus early I Dream of Jeannie and Ray Bradbury Theater.

5) Amazon Prime Video: I got back into watching the Dean Martin roasts, which is good because it's one of those shows where if you go too long between episodes, you run the risk of totally losing your place when you pick it back up.

6) YouTube: If you want to do your Burt Reynolds tribute up right and watch some Dan August, you have to go here.

7) CBS All Access: You haven't streamed until you've gotten sucked into early Caroline in the City on here.

8) Shout! Factory TV: new stuff ths month includes The Prisoner, Space 1999, and not just the original Screw Balls, but Screw Balls II: Loose Screws as part of a "back to school" collection.

9) Hoopla: I enjoyed a few more episodes of British series Striking Out on here. Man, there really IS a ton of Acorn TV on here. My library system only allows a handful of downloads a month, which prevents burning through a whole series, but, hey, it's free.

10) MLB TV: Nothing beats meaningful September baseball...except meaningful October baseball. I sure wish that for the price they charged for this, they could find a way to stream postseason games on here.

No comments: