Saturday, December 29, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #142--Get Ready for the New Year Edition

Is everyone planning a streamathon for New Year's Eve? Or New Year's Day? Or New Year's Eve AND New Year's Day?

Hey, how about we just stream video continuously the next few days as soon as we get through these rankings?

1) Netflix: The new Brian Regan show that premiered Christmas Day was a magical gift for all of us and is alone enough to earn Netflix a high spot. However, I also dipped into the archives to enjoy The Night of the Meek holiday-themed Twilight Zone episode as well as seasonal efforts from other classic series (yes, Netflix does have some left).  Oh, and I let it slip to my kids that new episodes of Fuller House were available, so now I have to put up with that.

On top of that, Netflix has what it says is a massive hit (and I believe it) in Bird Box, it unveiled more Black Mirror, and that Disney deal ain't dead yet (witness the premiere of Avengers: Infinity War on Tuesday). Plus my kids also are glad to see a new season of Alexa and Katie, which looks awfully good compared to Fuller House.

2) Boomerang: Now that the Christmas season is fading away, I am enjoying the Looney Tunes and other classic toons on here. Yogi Bear is a fun watch. This week, however, the high ranking is for all those holiday toons I saw.

3) CBS All Access: I finished the first season of Strange Angel, and my quick verdict: Interesting, but too serialized and a little slow-moving. I'd be interested in seeing more of it, but the show needs to improve to be a "gotta get CBS" kind of deal.

4) YouTube: I think I may have semi-overdosed on vintage Christmas ads, to be honest, but YouTube TV is still awesome (I think I am gonna keep it through January), and how can you not appreciate a platform that lets us see this whenever we want:

 

5) Amazon Prime Video: It's a very, very quiet week for Prime Video, though it looks like it aimed a metric ton of Indian videos. Corner Gas still rules, though, and I just discovered an Eddie Cantor special I am going to check out soon.

6) Hulu: It debuts another episode of its horror anthology Into the Dark, but are people excited about that? I did get back into King of the Hill, which I should be watching more often, really. Quiet week for Hulu, though.

7) Starz: I checked out two pretty good Jeffersons  Christmas episodes through the Starz/Encore app. You know, George Jefferson was softened pretty early on in the show's run, but he still kept his edge.

8) DC Universe: I read more comics than I did watch shows, but it was pretty cool to see a Christmas episode of Lois and Clark with Howie Mandel as Mr. Myx--Mr. Mxy--Mr. Mzy--that fifth-dimensional imp.

9) Curiosity Stream: Guys, it's not you, it's me. You have a fine service. You offer enlightening programming in good quality. You even have awesome initials. But I have barely taken advantage of your free trial this month. It's hard for me to make time for documentaries about quantum physics when there are so many Magilla Gorilla episodes to watch.

10) WWE Network: Here again on the strength of the stellar Hidden Gems it offered the last two weeks, but it needs to pick it up a bit with some consistent classic content.

No comments: