Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cultureshark Recommends (Stuff I Like)

My last several posts have been rather on the negative side, so today I'm going 100% positive and touting some things I like in the world of pop culture right now:

*Christian Slater in "He Was a Quiet Man": This little-seen film played in heavy rotation on the Showtime networks recently. It's an intriguing sleeper that takes you into the mind of a troubled loner (Slater) who harbors fantasies of slaughtering his co-workers. Then one day--well, even though it occurs early in the movie, I don't want to give it away.

Slater is excellent here. It's not just the gimmick of the receding hair and the glasses, but a true performance as Slater inhabits this lonely, beaten-down soul. I was really impressed by his work in carrying this entertaining little film, which also features Elisha Cuthbert (who has probably never been better) and John "Project Greenlight" Gulager (who provides extra offbeat charm).

*The Fleet Foxes' self-titled album: If you like folkish hippie rock with rich, layered harmonies, give this one a shot. I don't claim to listen to even a fraction of what's out there in music today, but though this one certainly is reminiscent of older artists, it feels fresh _now_ and is different than anything I've heard lately. It's a good change-of-pace album, though I wouldn't want to listen it repeatedly in a short time span. And it sure isn't the most macho thing to listen to in your car with the top down.

*New season of "Breaking Bad": What a fool I was to dismiss Bryan Cranston just because I thought "Malcom in the Middle" was weak. He's turning out awesome performances each and every week on this gripping AMC show. It may be a virtue of the short cable series that it can afford to plow through plot quicker than a network effort with a larger run. One great thing about "Breaking Bad" is that when you think of a scenario that "must" happen sooner or later, it often happens sooner. The creative team doesn't draw it out. Yet the show doesn't neglect character even as it advances plot. I'd like to see "Breaking Bad" get a little more of the pub it deserves.

*"Incognito": Ed Brubaker's new comic about a super villain in the witness protection program is off to a great start. I think the only remotely negative thing I could say about it is he's taking a break from "Criminal" to do it...but this is like an alternate take on "Criminal" and just as cool. So I won't say it.

"Honeymooners Lost Episodes" on WGN: Sure, I'd love to see them uncut and with less commercials, but I love that these are on in prime time on a high-profile national cable outlet. It's rare to see black and white shows in that kind of slot, period, let alone rough-looking kinescopes like these. The channel is currently showing the longer episodes Sundays at 9:00 PM, and if you only watch the Classic 39, you're really missing out on some hilarious 'Mooners action.

*This Aqua Velva commercial featuring a singing Pete Rose and Vic Tayback:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eAs7DM6u_Q

No comments: