Friday, March 6, 2009

Half-Assed Gourmet: Arby's Roast Burger

The other day, I was oot and aboot, as our Canadian friends might say (though I wasn't in Canada), and I needed some food, fast. So I went to Arby's for some fast food.

I wish I could say, "Been to one Arby's, you been to 'em all," but in my experience, there's a loooooot of variability in this chain. My last visit was disappointing, but I gave it another shot (at a different location) because 1) when Arby's is good, it's very good, and 2) I wanted to try the new Roast Burger.

I knew nothing about the Roast Burger except that it looked good in the sign on the window. I wanted to make sure there was no funky kind of Special Sauce on the sandwich, so I had this conversation with the woman behind the counter.

ME: "Is there any kind of sauce on that Roast Burger?"
HER: Yes.

At this point, I paused, expecting she would be a little more specific. Well, to be fair, I asked a Yes/No question, and that's the kind of answer I got.

ME: Uh...what KIND of sauce?
HER: Like on a burger. It's seasoning, like a burger.

Then she kind of glanced up at the big Roast Burger poster, like that photo would tell me everything I needed to know.

At THIS point, I felt I knew less than when I started. But she walked over towards the food area, and I thought she was going to get some packet of sauce or seasoning and show me what it was. Turned out, she was only getting a receipt from a previous order. She went back to the register and looked at me expectantly.

Well, Mama Shark didn't raise no coward, so I risked the presence of weirdo special sauce, bizarre seasoning, or worst of all mayonaisse, and ordered a bacon and cheddar Roast Burger.

It was OK, but not great. You know what it tasted like? A roast beef sandwich. It was a roast beef sandwich with a big bun, lettuce, some big tomatoes, and a few big onions. Since I picked the tomatoes and onions off, I might as well have just bought a roast beef sandwich...especially since that's basically what I got.

And by the way, the seasoning on that thing must have been real subtle, because I sure as heck didn't taste it. Nor did I taste any kind of sauce. So the Roast Burger remains a mystery to me, even after I asked about it, ordered it, and ate it.

What's not a mystery is that I should have just gone to McDonald's.

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

What's not a mystery is that I should have just gone to McDonald's.

An excellent point, Your Half-Assedness--albeit one that is moot. (That means it cannot speak.)

Arby's is King of the Roast Beef sandwiches (though my nostalgic self remembers the Rax franchises weren't too shabby either) but the main reason why I rarely go there (and yes, I received the circular and thought the Roast Burger looked scrumptious) is because their French fries suck. They don't suck as bad as Burger King's--and BK has onion rings, so fries are needed--but boy, they come close. I don't want curly fries...I don't want seasoned fries...just open up a bag of crinkle-cuts and deep fry those babies...stat!

Rick Brooks said...

Good point. I'd love to see a burger/sammich chain come up with a viable substitute for fries and make it part of a value meal combo. Arby's offers some tasty mozarella sticks (you can tell I'm a real health nut, huh?), but they don't come in the value deals.