Saturday, March 14, 2009

Who in the world cares about Matt Lauer?

The Associated Press ran a story yesterday detailing NBC's plans to change its traditional "Where in the world is Matt Lauer?" stunt, keeping Matty Boy at "affordable vacation spots" in the USA instead of shipping him off to far-flung locales all over the globe. NBC allegedly feels the old way would "send the wrong message" in these current economic times.

I call BS on this one. We're supposed to believe that the Nothing But Cheap network is sensitive to viewers' concerns all of a sudden? The network that brings us "Celebrity Apprentice" and "Kath and Kim" worries about sending the wrong message?

Considering the Peacock's sorry ratings and how much it is relying on promotional tie-ins, product placements, and other types of shills to raise revenue, I think it's reasonable to think NBC is just trying to save money. Personally, I don't care where Matt Lauer spends his vacation--if I'm up that early on a weekday, I'm usually way too grumpy to watch "Today"--but I resent NBC trotting out this excuse to cover up its own cutbacks.

No comments: