Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Fall Movies: October

Scroll down to Sunday's post for a full explanation, but these are some notable October movie releases. A green light means I want to see it, a yellow means I'm undecided, and a red means uh-uh.


October 5: The Heartbreak Kid (YELLOW)
Pretty much any Ben Stiller comedy should be firmly in the "caution" category, at the very least. The Farrellys have slid into the "stop" sign territory now. "There's Something About Mary" seems so very long ago. Now the Farrelly brothers are trying to get a boost from Stiller's cachet. Will this retooling of an old Charles Grodin comedy turn out to be special? How can any Charles Grodin comedy, retooled or otherwise, turn out special?

5: Grace is Gone (YELLOW)
Used to be I'd go see just about anything with John Cusack in it, but sometime in the past year or so, he's been in a lot of stuff that I just haven't seen. I mean, I'm at the store the other day, and I see he did a hitman movie with Morgan Freeman. When did that happen? Anyway, this one sounds like a downer, with Cusack a widowed dad who struggles to tell his kids their Mom was killed in Iraq. Something a big different, perhaps, for Cusack, and I'd like to see him pull it off and show a little something else.
Well, even if it doesn't work, maybe he'll have Cubs games to look forward to in October.

5: Michael Clayton (GREEN)
What's remarkable about the career of George Clooney isn't that he says he wants to make savvy character-driven films that have something to say. What's remarkable is that when he makes one, I believe he'll pull it off. He didn't direct this legal thriller, but he is a driving creative force, and I am ready to check this out, especially now that I know this ISN'T a biopic of the Tampa Bay Bucs wide receiver. Eriq LaSalle's Joey Galloway project is still in development, though.

12: Elizabeth: The Golden Age (YELLOW)
I know we're supposed to want to see this follow-up to Cate Blanchett's original turn as Lizzie, but...you know, I wasn't a big fan of the original, even if it did get a crownload of award nominations. I just don't have a burning desire to see the character revisited, but if everyone starts throwing out award talk again--and let's face it, Cate Blanchett playing royalty seems to be a lock already--I'll probably feel obligated to buy a ticket.

12: Sleuth (YELLOW)
You just don't go remaking Larry Olivier and Mikey Caine movies! You hear me? Who do these people think they are?
Oh, well, actually, one of them is Michael Caine? Oh. Carry on, then! Caine is in the Olivier part this time, and Jude Law steps into the Michael Caine role, and I don't mean the role of starring in dozens of crappy movies to get paychecks. Although, come to think of it, Jude was quite prolific there for a few years, and not every one of those flicks was a smash...Hmm...

12: We Own the Night (YELLOW)
The director of "The Yards" promises some more GRITTINESS with this crime drama starring Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg. Let me tell you, if those two own the night, I'm investing in the DAY, you know what I mean? Good, because I don't.

19: 30 Days of Night (YELLOW)
I'm not so big on horror flicks, but this one, based on the popular comic book, could be interesting. Could be. Vampires all over the place, mayhem, and whatnot. I certainly won't dismiss this one out of hand.

19: Gone Baby Gone (GREEN)
Come on, you KNOW "Directed by Ben Affleck" means GOLD.
Seriously, though, it became cool to rag on Affleck at some point--OK, pretty much as soon as he started acting--but you know what? As bad as his acting choices have been, the guy says the right things in interviews and seems to "get it." He's trying to maintain a family now, and I kinda want him to do well with this Dennis Lehane adaptation. He may well have it in him, though his casting bro Casey in a lead role makes me a little nervous.

First Clooney, then Affleck--why is it I want to make every heartthrob actor into a filmmaking genius? EARN this, Affleck. EARN this.

26: Saw IV (RED)
No worries about filmmaking genius here. I skipped the first 3. Why start now?

No comments: