Friday, October 5, 2007

This Week in DVD

*The Jungle Book: I just had a chilling thought. What if some unsuspecting set of folks buys this for their kid, only to find the tot is irritated because this one doesn't have John Goodman? Those stupid direct-to-video sequels...

*Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer: I don't know if this has officially become the blandest franchise going right now, but it has to be in the discussion. There were less terrible things in this one, but hardly any memorable things, either. Sure, the Surfer looked cool, but really, this series has been a huge missed opportunity.

*1408: That shortening theater-to-video window is good news for slackers like me who didn't make it out to see this one a few months ago. All I can do until I see the movie is think of that famous poem:
"Columbus sailed the ocean great
In 1408."

*The War: That's KEN BURNS' The War to you, son! If your recording mechanism of choice waved a white flag after being asked to grab over 15 hours of it on PBS over 7 nights, well, here's your chance to enjoy it on video. PBS is doing its part to salute the Greatest Generation by making them fork over the entirety of their Social Security checks to buy this expensive set. I guess PBS figures you're not just buying a DVD; you're making a backdoor pledge.

*Sarah Silverman Program Season 1: I saw this was on sale and remarked at what a great price was. Then I realized there are only, like, 6 episodes. Not such a bargain, then, really.

No comments: