Tuesday, October 23, 2007

This Week in DVD

Mr. Brooks: Unfortunately, folks, this is not the Authorized Biopic of yours truly, the grand, sweeping epic that details my amazing life. Who am I kidding, that movie would be about 5 minutes long. No, this is the story of Kevin Costner and his psychotic imaginary friend--OK, Costner is playing a character, but come on, it's more interesting to think of Costner killing people as Costner. This time, though, it's not his Robin Hood accent that slays 'em--he's really slaying 'em! I missed this one in theaters, and though it got mixed reviews, I think it sounds interesting. Plus I really hope co-star Dane Cook gets annihilated in this one.

Adventures of Aquaman Collection: I really don't know how many of these old Filmation shorts I can take in a single sitting--catching one as filler every few months or so on Boomerang seems about right--but, come on, isn't it great that these are even coming out? You know how cool Aquaman DVDs will look on your shelf. Oh, you may not pull the box off that shelf, and in fact, it might just sit there inactive next to your Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Flash DVDs, but isn't that kind of fitting?

Burt Lancaster: The Signature Collection: Arguably without his signature roles, but don't blame Warners for packaging some new-to-DVD titles in another of its attractive collections.

Meet the Robinsons: I enjoyed this Disney effort on the big screen--but mostly because it was in 3-D. I think it's a lesser effort from the company, but if your kids are too Philistine to appreciate Aquaman, this might be a good animated pick for them this week.

No comments: