Saturday, February 23, 2008

This Week in DVD

*The big release this week is Denzel and Russell in American Gangster:
American Gangster
Stay away from me
American Gangster
Gangsta, let me beeeee

Sorry about that, but who can blame a guy for having frequent Guess Who Overload?

*In the Valley of Elah: I saw about 2 minutes of this when a projectionist screwed up and started running it at the wrong time. I think to commemorate that thrilling day, I'll rent this one but load up "American Gangster" first.

*Michael Clayton: No sugar tonight in my coffee, no sugar tonight in my tea. No sugar to stand beside me...Sorry, Guess Who Overload again. Hey, it happens. I thought Michael Clayton was a really good movie that didn't quite achieve greatness for me, but, hey, no shame on George Clooney, who's really good. As I wrote in my original review, the ending was weak--a bit Scooby-Doo for my tastes. But it's worth a look-see.

*Margot at the Wedding: Noah Baumbach's The Squid and the Whale was lauded for its insight and wit, but, whoa, the reception to this one was different. I kept reading phrases like "self-absorbed," "navel gazing," etc., but what did critics expect? A Guess Who concert? I'll have to see this one and find out what the deal is.

It's a slow week for classic movies and TV, but things pick up on Tuesday--at least TV-wise. Join me next week as I write about it while working in references to "Hand Me Down World" and "These Eyes."

No comments: