Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cultureshark's Top 10 Films of 2007

Think it's too late for this list? Hey, whaddya mean? It's not even April yet!

Reminder, before you swarm me with angry emails for leaving , check here for a partial list of notable 2007 releases haven't yet seen.

1) Ratatouille
--Does everything it sets out to do, and it does so in an enchanting manner. The most satisfying movie I saw all year, and certainly the one that made me feel the best.

2) Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
--I felt good after seeing this one, too, but in a "Wow, I saw a kick-ass movie," way. The movie itself is uncompromising and bleak. I mean, it looks like it's gonna be grim when it begins with a botched robbery, and then it somehow keeps getting grimmer. A nice treat from Sidney Lumet for movie fans that like the dark stuff.

3) Sweeney Todd
--Morbid, witty musical ride that, despite its Best Actor nom for star Johnny Depp, is way underrated.

4) Breach
--Hey, this one came out in 2007, right? Yeah, it did! Early in 2007, mind you, but in 2007. A tense, involving spy thriller that was buried for some reason. I found myself much more attached to the characters in this movie than in, say, the latest Bourne flick, and I've had 3 movies to warm up to that guy. Rent this one if you missed it.

5) No Country for Old Men
--'Nuff said about this one already

6) Gone Baby Gone
--Another way-underrated thriller. Kudos to Ben Affleck for delivering a gripping crime drama that introduces moral questions without going too far over the top.


7) 3:10 to Yuma
--This remake isn't better than the original because it's newer and louder, but it is a reminder that newer and louder doesn't always mean stupider. I think some critics overemphasized the flaws of this version without acknowledging some of the same ones were present in the earlier. Simply put, this is an exciting Western with memorable moments.

8) The Lookout
--Another dark one that gets better and better the more you think about it. Don't feel too bad if you missed the boat on this one; it seems that a whooooole bunch of people did.

9) Once
--I was almost annoyed by how eager fans of this movie were to tout its charm to those who hadn't yet seen it...until I actually saw it myself. If you found the leads at all likable during the Academy Awards telecast, you must see this.

10) Eastern Promises
--Many (including myself) might have initially underrated this David Cronenberg flick because it wasn't A History of Violence. Look again. Among other virtues, it may be the performance of Viggo Mortensen's career.

1 comment:

Michael Cowgill said...

I might quibble with the order of a few, but I can't disagree with any of your choices and heartily second Ratatouille (Firefox suggests Bouillabaisse as a correct spelling of Ratatouille) in the number one spot.