Friday, March 28, 2008

Owen Wilson: Too Soon? Too Something?

Seeing the commercials for "Drillbit Taylor" over the past few weeks gave me an odd feeling. It's a big, goofy comedy starring a recognizable movie star…who apparently tried to kill himself a few months ago. Is it too soon? I don't know. But I don't feel I have "closure," if that's the right word. I see him make public appearances, and I feel good for him because he's still around, but I also wonder if he's really OK. I never felt a big personal attachment to Owen Wilson, and I don't think I do now, but I can't help but think about all those supposed personal demons that were hinted at when he nearly died last year. Have they gone? Is he "fine"? Are we as moviegoers supposed to just forget about all of that and go see his movies? Maybe we are, I don't know.

I would never be so presumptuous as to say we the public have a "right" to know the personal details of a movie star's life, but at the same time, it's hard to separate the persona from something as drastic as what we saw happen. Even then, we really didn't see much, did we? We got some frantic reports, some speculation, and then…nothing. And that's fine. Owen Wilson doesn't owe us a Barbara Walters interview or a "People" profile. But so far we're getting nothing, and to me, for one, it makes it really tough not to still be curious about all that stuff, even when I see him in a trailer for something as unabashedly silly as 'Drillbit Taylor."

I mean, at some point, he's kind of gonna have to talk about it...isn't he? If not, I guess only time will make this kind of awkward feeling go away. Whatever the case, I wish him the best of luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems Owen's suicide attempt is the one story no one in Hollywood or the celeb media wants to talk about. I find that a bit odd myself.