Thursday, September 18, 2008

This Week in DVD

Busby Berkley Collection II: Also known as the Dick Powell Collection. OK, only I know it as that, but you fans of the crooner in his pre-hard-boiled days get a good dose of him here. I don't think hardcore musical fans consider these 4 movies the cream of the crop, but the ones I've seen are enjoyable entertainment, and the set comes with the typical WB assortment of extra goodies.

Charlie Chan Collection V: And I think with this set (which from what I read is a typically excellent presentation of the material), Fox finishes its Chan run, with me several films behind in Netflixing them. Not that they should have waited for me to catch up; I'm just saying.

88 Minutes: HOO-HAH! I GOT 88 MINUTES HERE! NOT 87, NOT 89, BUT 88 MINUTES! HOO-HAH! SOMEBODY GONNA DIE HERE!

Speed Racer: Here's why you shouldn't trust me: When I saw this trailer last year, I said, "That movie is gonna be a HUGE hit." Oops.

Smothers Brothers Season 3: The controversial variety show comes to DVD in reverse order, with the last season arriving first. I can't imagine this material has the same impact today, but it's a significant part of TV history, though I sometimes wonder if its importance has been overinflated a bit. At any rate, it might be worth a look-see, and I'm glad its fans have the opportunity to get it.

Chuck Season 1: A solid series that combined action and humor with a likable cast and a fun spirit. This season burned through an awful lot of plot, so hopefully some new twists are in store for season 2. This will likely be a nice show to dip into on DVD if you want to get caught up.

Pushing Daisies Season 1: I keep hearing this is a showcase series for people with high-def, but I have regular old low-def and found it too precious for my tastes.

The Love Guru: Proud participant in the Summer Crummy Movie Cavalcade.

Made of Honor: Ditto.

No comments: