Tuesday, May 5, 2009

This Week in DVD

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: A guy is born old and becomes younger as time passes. Oh, sure, when David Fincher does it, it's ART; when "Mork and Mindy" does it with Jonathan Winters, it's just stupid, huh? Actually, it kind of is, but still.

Wendy and Lucy: I must confess, when this acclaimed indie with Michelle Williams came out, there were all sorts of other films in release or on the way about depressing topics like murder, kidnapping, poverty, etc. Yet I took one look at the synopsis, got to the part about Williams' character losing her dog, and I was like, "Ah, that looks really depressing. I don't know if I want to see that."

Last Chance Harvey: Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson show that older people can participate in gentle romantic comedies, too. They also show that in Hollwyood, for all intents and purposes, Emma Thompson is considered as "old" as Dustin Hoffman. By the way, my wife once saw Dustin Hoffman in an airport, but she didn't "meet cute" with him and particpate in a series of witty conversations and silly misunderstandings.

Jake and the Fatman Season 2: Paramount...could...please...Bill Conrad...fans...by just...issuing...all the seasons...of "Cannon"...first...and more...quickly...but, no...it would rather...alternate...them...with this series...and release them...sloooooowly...and in split...seasons...or in this case...one "full season"...with 11 episodes.

That Girl Season 5: Not my "thang," but I give Shout kudos for finishing the series.

No comments: