Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving from Sleuth, the network for, uh...bad movies

Oh, how naive I was to think Sleuth would be a decent cable network. By the time I got it a few years ago, it was already sliding downhill, but now it's deteriorated from USA Network 2 to something like USA Network 5 or 6. It's not just that the network abandoned all pretense of providing programming appropriate to its name, though that is a big part of it.

Just for fun, let's look at Sleuth's Thanksgiving Day lineup.

6:00 AM Ed TV
8:30 AM Little Miss Sunshine
11:00 AM Ed TV
1:30 PM Little Miss Sunshine
4:00 PM Friday After Next
6:00 PM Thank You for Smoking
8:00 PM Along Came Polly
10:00 PM Thank You for Smoking
12:00 AM Along Came Polly
2:00 AM Friday After Next
4:00 AM National Lampoon's Dad's Week Off

Heavens to Columbo, what the hell is this supposed to represent? Seeing this schedule makes me want to drop to my knees and beg Roger Goodell's forgiveness for bitching about the NFL scheduling the Oakland Raiders on Thanksgiving. I'll watch a 2009 Raiders games marathon before I watch all of these movies like this.

My apologies to the makers of "Thank You for Smoking," which is a decent film that doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the others, but what is it doing on Sleuth?

And, hey, what is NBC Universal doing holding off a gem like "National Lampoon's Dad's Week Off" till 4:00 in the morning when the whole family could be gathered around the Philco watching it before or after other family classics like "The Wizard of Oz" and "It's a Wonderful Life"?

I'm getting close to using parental block-out technology on Sleuth not because I'm worried about my daughter being exposed to it, but because it's raising my blood pressure each time I bother to see what it's airing.

No comments: