Saturday, February 13, 2010

Disjointed thoughts about this weekend's new movies

Valentine's Day:

*I'm suspicious of movies built around a single holiday...unless it's Christmas, in which case I'm suspicious if it stars Tim Allen.

*I'm also suspicious of movies that apparently feature every star in Hollywood. This suspicion grows ever stronger when I don't hear much about such films until the week or two before they open.

*"Valentine's Day," therefore, is not on my must-see list, and I'm kind of hoping it fades away before my wife and I have our next dinner-and-a-movie date night. I don't know that she wants to see this, but you can't be too careful.

*Garry Marshall directing feature films: not so good. Garry Marshall giving amiable commentary tracks on "Odd Couple" episodes: very good (I really wish Paramount had enlisted his services for seasons 2-5).

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief:

*Is this really supposed to be a Winter Olympics tie-in? Then how come it's not on NBC?

*Some observers think this movie will make mythology like, all cool and stuff for kids. Or maybe the books have already done that. I don't know, but I'd rather see something that seems halfway fresh than that "Clash of the Titans" remake in the works.

*I realize "Harry Potter" wasn't necessarily the most dashing movie icon name before the movies proved to be smashes, but it's hard for me to envision a franchise built around a Percy.

The Wolfman:

*This one's been delayed so many times, I still don't believe it's actually in theaters. And I saw it on a marquee today, too.

*If nothing else, it gives Universal an excuse to release yet another DVD edition of the Lon Chaney version.

*Sir Anthony Hopkins has kept kind of a low profile lately, hasn't he?

No comments: