Friday, March 19, 2010

This Week in DVD

Twilight: New Moon: It's tonight! Tonight, it's finally here! OMG! OK, I shouldn't mock this one. If you're into it, here you go. I'm on Team Uninterested.

The Princess and the Frog: Disney's much-anticipated return to hand-drawn animation was a smashing success. Except that it wasn't entirely hand-drawn. And except that it did OK but fell sort of recent computer-animated smashes. But other than that...Hey, me, I really want to see this one, and, no, I don't collect Disney Princesses.

Astro Boy: Why is it every few weeks, a DVD comes out of a movie of which I have no memory of it being in theaters? And why is it most of those movies star Nicolas Cage?

Armored: I know very little about this promising but unheralded heist movie, so let me offer a great line from DVD Talk reviewer Brian Orndorf:

Antal keeps the brew bubbling agreeably, with the aid of some splendid actors (Fishburne, Reno), good actors (Dillon, Short, and Ventimiglia), and...er, actors (Skeet Ulrich and Amaury Nolasco, playing the fraidy cats of the guard pack) to communicate the hysteria.

Did You Hear about the Morgans: Now I feel really ashamed for making fun of "Twilight." At least the people that buy that have their reasons. I can't think of a single thing that would justify paying money for a movie that teams Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker, and I would eye a rental with skepticism, too. Nobody wants to see Parker unless she's Carrie Bradshaw; as for Grant, how can a guy seemingly so charming and funny star in so many bad movies?

The Fourth Kind: There's the great kind of movie, the good kind of movie, the "Just OK" kind of movie, and...

MST3k Vol. XVII: Another set of 4 episodes from Shout Factory. Keep 'em coming, folks. Keep 'em coming.

Hawaii Five-O Season 8: Does anyone think that upcoming remake will last anywhere near 8 seasons? Why am I asking so many questions this week?

No comments: