Thursday, September 23, 2010

Should you watch: Hawaii Five-0

Well, this remake was pretty much what I had heard it was: loud, fast, well done for what it was. I was surprised at the extent of the overall speed of the show, though. Even simple scenes like star Alex O'Loughlin talking to Jean Smart's governor of Hawaii were staged muy rapidamente (sorry, I don't speak any Hawaiian).

It kind of scares me to imagine how slow today's youth must think a show like the original "Hawaii Five-0" is. Am I that old, or is today's TV just that fast? Maybe that's just the way it is nowadays and I don't notice it in established shows because I'm used to them. Perhaps not just the editing, but the storytelling has to be accelerated because of the 8 minutes or so less each hourlong show has to work with today. But the even scarier thing is that I'm talking about a show being so loud and fast and ADD and whatnot, and I'm talking about a SHOW ON CBS! CBS!

I thought "Hawaii Five-0" was OK, but not something worth watching each week. I wouldn't have beef with anyone who thought otherwise, though. Someone who was more enamored with the cast than I was could easily get into this one.

Here are some more reasons why you should watch the new "Hawaii Five-0":

*You've always wanted to go to Hawaii and appreciate the chance to see the island in all its tropical beauty...punctuated, of course, with gunfire, murders, and explosions.
*You're convinced "Lost's" Daniel Dae Kim is a "plant" and are determined to watch for all the clues he surely represents.
*You think there's nothing in the field of pursuing baddies a bulky, athletic guy can do that a 100-pound young woman can't do better.
*You figure if CBS is gonna keep building shows around Alex O'Loughlin, you might as well buckle under and watch one eventually.
*You have neither a DVD player nor an MP3 player nor the "Television's Greatest Hits" CD, and you have to get your fix of that theme song each week.
*You're tired of all those shows with cops that play by the rules.

No comments: