Thursday, March 24, 2011

This Week in DVD

The Tourist: I tried to come uo with a smart-ass remark for this movie, but Ricky Gervais used them all up at the Globes. All I know is Depp + Jolie should have added up to something better.

Yogi Bear: I think casting Justin Timberlake as Boo Boo must have been a middle finger to everyone who grew up watching the original show. I read some griping somewhere that Dan Aykroyd snubbed the advice of Daws Butler when preparing to voice Yogi, but I am not going to rip Aykroyd when Timberlake is around to be ripped.

Skyline: A sci-fi thriller starring...Eric Balfour? Oh, Eric Balfour, must you sully cheesy B-movies as well as seemingly a new mediocre series every single fall TV season?

How Do You Know: James L. Brooks used to be a reliable creative force as a writer/director, but, boy, did this one tank. Nicholson doesn't do enough movies anymore to be able to waste 'em like this. Still, there's something oddly compelling about casting Reese Witherspoon as a world-class softball player.

Hawkeye: The Complete Series: I know little about this series, but I know not to pass up a chance to get my Lee Horsely on! Did Tom Selleck ever do a show about the pre-Revolutionary American frontier? I think not!

I'm going to close out this week's short DVD post with a few titles I highlight only because of their, well, titles.

Kid Rock: The Complete Story: Shouldn't his "complete story" take about 30 seconds to tell? He made music, he got high, he partied with a bunch of chicks. Isn't that about it?

Uncle Farts' 70s Grindhouse Sleazefest: No, that's not a typo. There really is a DVD out this week called "UNCLE FARTS' Grindhouse Sleazefest." That title is low-rent and sleazy even by the standards of low-rent sleaze. I refuse to learn anything more about this video because, after all, how can it possibly live up (or down) to that name? Not even Uncle Fart, but Uncle Farts. Yeah, I'm a tad curious about this "Uncle Farts" character, but maybe he's better left as an enigma who will loom in my imagination as a larger-than-life figure...who happens to be named Uncle Farts.

No comments: