Thursday, March 31, 2011

This Week in Netflix Instant Watching

I wanted to chime in with a few notes on Netflix's recent IW additions before a huge dump of titles comes April 1. Hey, don't get me wrong, there is some great stuff coming the first of the month. Maybe I shouldn't use the word "dump." Well, too late. Not like I can go back and edit it out or anything.

I'll tell you who takes a big dump all over Netflix for abandoning the physical DVD in its rush to force us drones--er, customers to streaming: Classic TV History blogger Stephen Bowie, who writes a scathing attack on the company for deserting the format all too soon. Bowie does an outstanding job of explaining why the approach is so hurtful, and his focus on the lack of vintage TV releases being offered by Netflix is particularly alarming.

I was aware that product from VCI and Timeless, among others, was not being picked up, but I didn't know Netflix was so blatant about not stocking it. And while I was impressed when a ton of old B-movies and rarities not available on video started popping up this year, I haven't seen as many old-school flicks of any kind lately.

I say bravo to Mr. Bowie and kudos for an essential piece, but I also plan to enjoy the streaming while I can, too. After all, I am paying for it. Here are some interesting titles now on the IW:

*WWE Films: Netflix signed a deal late last year to offer World Wrestling Entertainment's original films on its streaming service. OK, that DOES seem more like a cruel punishment than a kind reward for customers--"Hey, we aren't gonna get the new "Mannix" set, but enjoy Triple H in "The Chaperone"--but the best part of the deal is the offering of a slew of documentaries put out by the company. Unfortunately, the matches of the DVD sets are NOT included, nor other extras, but the documentary features, such as the just-released "True Story of Wrestlemania," make for good watchin' for fans. And you non-fans, please stop snickering at the notion of the phrase "pro wrestling documentary" offering a contradiction in terms.

*Rocky and Bullwinkle: I can't vouch for picture quality or completeness yet, but Netflix is touting all 5 seasons of the show available for streaming, presumably the Classic Media DVD versions.

*Mystery Science Theater 3000: It's irritating that Netflix is not carrying the 4-episode Shout Factory box sets on DVD anymore, BUT the pain is eased by the fact that several months or so after street date, the last couple batches have come to streaming. In fact, there's a whole slew of great MST3K episodes on IW. I don't feel the need to own these (not that I begrudge those who do), and I think this kind of programming is a perfect option to have at the ready on Instant Watching. Let's hope this continues.

*Gangs of New York: I don't care what anyone says, this is a great movie. Well, I loved it, and I make no apologies for it.

*Invaders from Mars: Yep, it's the trippy 1953 version, a great early sci-fi thriller.

I'll try to write more next week after the standard first-of-the month onslaught of new titles...

No comments: