Wednesday, July 31, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

G.I. Joe: Retaliation: Or as it was titled internationally, "G.I. Joe: Unprovoked Imperilaist Aggression."

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox: If you read Monday's post, you won't be surprised to learn I am really excited about this latest DC Comics animated feature. Oh, I'm not so excited that I can't wait 6 months for it to show up on Netflix, but I'm still excited!

Black Rock: I saw this Kate Bosworth movie described as a "female-driven Deliverance-esque thriller." OK, even the "female-driven" part can't erase unpleasant images of Ned Beatty.

Wanted Season 1/Banshee Season 1: It's really unfair of me to think this, but I don't think I could sit through a Cinemax original series without being anxious the whole time waiting for Shannon Whirry to go topless.

Nope, still got Ned Beatty in my head.

Between Us: An exploration of the issues couples face, this one might actually be decent. It stars familiar names like Julia Stiles, Taye Diggs, and Ned--DAMN!

Going Hollywood: A lot of people are gonna be excited about this vintage offering from Warner Archive. I say forget Bing Crosby and Marion Davies, the real story here is more Ned Beatty on DVD. I mean Ned SPARKS! Ned Sparks. I hate "Black Rock" already.

And in streaming...

There is very little going on this week. I imagine the monthly catalog dump coming tomorrow will bring something interesting. Meanwhile, I discovered this week that "The Fresh Beat Band" is now on Amazon prime, which tempts me to sign up just so I can give my son his favorite show on demand.

Also, have you noticed how great Hulu Plus' main page is in the summer? When there are no big network hits to tout, the service highlights these weird random shows you never knew were even on there. Maybe it's based on my viewing patterns somehow, but it's still kind of odd to see a spotlight on "Care Bears." Uh, thanks, Hulu!

No comments: