Wednesday, October 2, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

The Croods: I remember seeing the poster for this all the way back in December when I saw "Lincoln" and thinking, OK, family movie, but what the heck is this about? Well, I still have no idea what this is about.

This Is the End: Each time these guys get together to be a movie now, I have to ask, do we need weed to enjoy it? Because I'm not into that, so...yeah, I might as well just not bother, right?

The Frozen Ground: Cage and Cusack. Two actors of a certain age and pedigree. One keeps making bizarre career decisions that dim his luster, the other...is Nic Cage. Seriously, what HAS John Cusack done lately?

InAPPropriate Comedy: I hate, hate, hate the title of this movie and its spelling, but yet I...can't...resist...typing it.

Little Mermaid Platinum Edition: Each year about this time, Disney proves what a generous corporation it is by releasing a new edition of a video it took off the market several years prior so that nobody could buy it retail anymore. Sure, it costs more now than it ever did before, but that's because it's better! Really, we should just be thankful it's available again.

The Wizard of Oz: You know, I was a total wise-ass with that last item, but I don't have that on DVD, and I'm totally gonna buy it for my kids. As for "Wizard of Oz," everyone should own it by now, but I don't (long story), and so I might well get THIS. So I hope the 43,000K-scan or whatever they do is worth it. At least it should tie us over to the 80th Anniversary Mega Ultra 4-D edition.

From Here to Eternity 60th Anniversary: Ah...yeah, nothing against this movie, but I got to draw the line somewhere.

How I Met Your Mother Season 8: Ah, OK. NOW we'll get this streaming on Netflix, right? Right?

The Carol Burnett Show: Christmas with Carol: So last year, a Carol Burnette Xmas DVD came out, only it was episodes of "The Garry Moore Show," not, as many believed given the cover, "The Carol Burnett Show." Well, angry cranks who don't read the back of the box, here you go! As for me, gee, I really wish I had picked up that disc of "Garry Moore Show" episodes last year, and I may be looking for that this time around.

And in Instant Watching...

No How I Met Your Mother season 8 yet, but October 1 brings the monthly Big Add of catalog titles, and this time out there are many high-profile titles like Fargo, Ghostbusters, As Good As It Gets, Grease, Forrest Gump...You'll probably find something you like in there. You'll probably have seen it already, but still. Also, Walking Dead season 3 arrives with a few weeks for you to catch up before the new season starts.

No comments: