Saturday, October 12, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

The Hangover Part 3: Seriously? Whenever a movie like this comes out, they should just put the salaries right next to everyone's name, right there for moviegoers to peruse when they're thinking of paying 12 bucks to see the film.

After Earth: It's sad that even when they try to hide the fact that M. Night Shyamalan is involved, nobody wants to see an M. Night Shyamalan movie anymore. Did you know that Shyamalan has a book out about education reform? Me, neither. That's interesting, isn't it? It is to me. This movie, not so much.

Oh, and [SCIENTOLOGY JOKE DELETED AT REQUEST OF LEGAL COUNSEL]

Much Ado About Nothing: Joss Whedon made this Shakespeare adaption on the cheap in between blockbusters, and I guess that's pretty cool, but wouldn't it be cooler if he made a $200 million Shakespeare movie and then did a low-budget Avengers flick?

The Purge: I know nothing about this horror film, but it looks like it made some money at the box office, so I might as well list it.

Stuck in Love: I don't know anything about this, either, but, jeez, does anyone? And doesn't a movie with Greg Kinnear and Jennifer Connelly deserve a little more pub?

OK, well, doesn't a movie with Jennifer Connelly deserve a little more pub?

Best of Evening at the Improv: 4 DVDs of the 1980s late night A&E staple, featuring a whole lot of standup comedy delivered in front of a brick wall. This sounds like a great idea for a DVD, but somehow it won't be the same without being interrupted by Popeil commercials. And while I appreciate the desire to give the flavor of the show by offering some of the musical guests, I'm not sure I think of a song by Alabama as part of the "best" of "Evening at the Improv."

Goldberg: The Ultimate Collection: I was never a fan of the guy even in his WCW heyday, so I'm the wrong guy to ask about the viability of a whole DVD of one Goldberg match after another. I'm sure this will sell some copies, and after all, it's not like WWE is gonna listen to me and put out a Best of the Varsity Club collection.

And in streaming...

Hey, this was a great week and a half or so since I last wrote the column. Hulu Plus added some more BBC shows, many available elsewhere, but one welcome new arrival is The Young Ones. Warner Archive Instant recently started theme categories, like Vincent Minnelli films and Los Angeles locations, as well as adding more episodes of Medical Center and the Danny Thomas 1970s sitcom The Practice.

As far as Netflix goes, this week was seemingly all about responding to my complaints. I complained that season 8 of How I Met Your Mother wasn't up yet, and then it appeared. Months ago I complained that Hulu had yanked some unaired episodes of Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23, and then the whole show appeared on Netflix. I complained about pablum-puking liberals ruining the country with their pinko policies, and then Netflix added Evocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Movie.

OK, I'm kidding about the reason for that last add, but not about its existence. I hope to write more about Mort soon, but it's a great movie and another interesting new documentary on Instant Watching, joining Salinger and Don't Stop Believin' (about Journey and its new lead singer). Also new is a batch of comedy specials, including Marc Maron: Thinky Pain, and, folks, if you haven't caught on to the brilliance that is Crash & Bernstein on Disney XD, here's your chance to see season 1.

No comments: