Saturday, May 17, 2014

We have "Clearance," Clarence...or maybe not

I got an email from a certain online retailer touting 350 new clearance DVDs. The first row in the actual email featured Star Wars  2-DVD Limited Edition WS for 49.98.

49.98? Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but in my humble opinion no DVD that costs 50 bucks should ever be called a "clearance" DVD...unless it retails for about 350. Does this particular edition carry a high MSRP? Is it out of print? Does it come packaged with gold bars?

I don't know the answer, but I know that while virtually every other title in the email has a little red line underneath the price telling us what % off retail the clearance number is, the Star Wars item does not. Maybe this email should be titled, "349 clearance DVDs and one we're kind of hoping to dump at a high price."

No comments: