Monday, November 13, 2017

5 channels/services that SHOULD be in my Streaming Video rankings--and why they're not

Please note I UPDATED this post with info from Shout! TV:

(Note: 'Mooners Monday will return next week!)

With so many streaming options out there nowadays, it's no surprise that many prominent ones will be left out each week if you make a list that only goes to 10 (If you'd like to go to 11 with This Is Spinal Tap, this week's #8, Filmstruck, has it till March). But there are some frequent underachievers whose absence may make newer readers wonder. So this week I am presenting a look at 5 streaming video outlets and why they don't make the cut this week:

Amazon Prime: Its most interesting add, like much of the new movies it gets, is Allied, and that's on Hulu. I don't subscribe to Prime, though with the holidays arriving, I may get a month of it soon. What really irks me about Amazon is its decision to yank Twitch from the Roku store, as reported by Cordcutters News. It just seems like a bratty move.

Shout! Factory TV: Some of the best free content in the streaming world, hands down, but it hasn't updated its Roku version, at least not my incarnation, since the beginning of September.

UPDATE: A friendly Shout! rep responded to my inquiry and basically said Roku is having issues. Shout! seems to have little control over the technical issues causing upload problems. I hope I'm not the only one who noticed. Roku, get it together!

Crackle: I really think that after a few efforts to make a splash with original content, Sony has more or less given up on Crackle. Most of the interesting content that was on there before is no longer there, and after Comedians in Cars joins Netflix, there will be little reason to suffer the irritating user interface on here. It's a shame because this had potential.

Watch ESPN: The tyranny of  "provider authentication required" means I go without ESPN for a while.

Showtime: I don't have anything Showtime, really--not like the other ones on this list. It tries really hard and does a better job of marketing itself and its new shows than many others do. I think I saw an ad for Shameless a dozen times watching Hulu the other day. But it just seems like it's lacking that big thing that makes me go, yeah, I wish I had Showtime, and that's why it rarely cracks the top 10.

No comments: