Saturday, November 18, 2017

Streaming Video Power Rankings #88

1) Philo: What the deuce is Philo? It's a "cordcutter" bundle service that offers a bunch of non-sports channels for 16 bucks. It's not overwhelming by itself--the Turner channels are conspicuous by their absence--but it's a step in the right direction. In conjunction with another package and/or antenna, a lot of people who don't want ESPN and the like might save some money with this.

2) Acorn TV: I am loving Acorn so far. Enough to get it every month? Well, I don't know, but I definitely plan to keep watching 800 Words and Men Behaving Badly.

3) Hulu: My young son was blown away by the fact that I made a profile for him on Hulu and he could watch Teen Titans Go. Thank goodness I didn't have to make him a treehouse or something.

Also, the other night, I just sat down and watched a couple of old sitcoms because why not? It's nice to enjoy the ever-expanding back catalog every now and then.

I look forward to seeing Paul Resier's backstage-at-Tonight Show show There's Johnny, and I don't want to say I'm glad SeeSo is gone, but...I can actually see it now that it's on Hulu.

4) Netflix: I will not use this space to make a remark about Netflix's ever-decreasing back catalogue. This week, I'm interested in the new Jim Carrey/Andy Kaufman documentary. Mudbound is supposed to be very good. Longmire has a new season. The Punisher is up. It's a big week for Netflix.

5) YouTube: First, my man SeanMc uploaded a ton of videos this week after an absence of a few weeks.  Then I have a movie lined up to watch but get wrapped up in an upload of the complete Andy Kaufman on David Letterman collection. Brilliant, YT.

6) Warner Archive Instant: I can't keep them out of the top 10 after seeing the awesome Eight Is Enough I did this week, but...the official Twitter account is still silent since October 22.

7) Amazon Prime: Won some kind of bidding war to do a Lord of the Rings series. I give Amazon a lot of credit...because I don't subscribe and I don't want my $ to go to a big, expensive Lord of the Rings series.

8) Nosey: I appreciate the new Sally episodes, but still no Sgt. Julu appearances? What's up with that?

Also, a new batch of Jerry Springer is here, including this episode titled "Boxing Blowout: Viewers vs. Guests": Let's get ready to rumble! Time after time viewers sitting at home watching the show have told themselves, 'I could take that guest.'" They have? I can't help it. I think I'm gonna watch it this week.

9) The CW: Legends of Tomorrow is quietly entertaining its following (it has one, right?) each week.

10) Shout! Factory TV: I didn't actually watch anything on here, but I appreciated customer service's response when I asked about the lack of updates on the Roku version. She basically blamed Roku, so not a huge help, but at least she didn't say, "Hey, it's free, asswipe!"

No comments: