Friday, January 26, 2018

Half-Assed Gourmet: Little Caesar's has a cheap pizza that is slightly less cheap than its regular pizza

Can you imagine walking into your local Little Caesar's franchise, striding to the counter, and declaring, "I'd like your SECOND-CHEAPEST pizza, my good man"? Well, you may want to do that with pride if you are interested in the new More! More! More! $6 pizza, a pie 20% more expensive than its standard "Hot and Ready" pizza but...well, how much better IS it?

I can't tell you if it's 20% better or not because I haven't had the hot ready in so long. I had the extremely unhealthy deep dish pizzas, including that bacon-wrapped one, a monstrosity that took months off my life (I regret nothing, by the way), and usually avoided El Cheapo. My memory is that El Cheapo is actually Pretty Bueno, though, especially if you get one hot and ready.

They MUST want you to buy the $6 one, right? I guess the profit margin must be better on that even if there really IS more pepperoni and more cheese and more--Hey, what am I doing talking like an economist when the topic is a cheap-ass pizza?

I mean, cheap is cheap, but, man, I would feel like a SUCKER going in there and getting that $5 pizza now. At the least, I would feel like even more of a cheapskate than I know I am--and that they know I am by virtue of the fact that I am in Little Ceasar's. What am I gonna do with that extra buck? buy breadsticks? No. Buy wings? No. Buy Italian Cheesy bread? No. All that stuff costs way more than a dollar. I might as well SPLURGE and get the $6 pizza.

In fact, on my way out after buying it, I almost wished for some poor soul to walk out with a $5 pizza so I could feel superior. "I may not be living like a Rockefeller, but I was able to spare the extra buck and upgrade my pizza!"

So I guess I should give a review of the product, huh? Well, pizza is pizza. Pizza is good. This $6 pizza is good. I really don't know if it's 20% better than the regular one, but it does seem to have a lot more pepperoni and maybe even a little more OOMPH. I would recommend you buy the $6 one but also get the $5 one, and if you like the $6 one better, throw the rest of the $5 one at the next person who asks why you would want to get either instead of "buying REAL pizza."

No comments: