Monday, January 29, 2018

'Mooners Monday: I have never been prouder of Ralph Kramden

Call Ralph Kramden a hopeless dreamer; a sucker; a fool, even. Call him a lout. Call him a moax.  At times he is all those things and more. In "Trapped," though, Ralph has maybe his finest moment in Honeymooners history.

The bad guys--George Petrie and Frank Marth as two robbing, possibly murderous thugs--have tied up Alice and Ed, and Petrie instructs Marth to give Ralph the works. The criminal leads Ralph into the bedroom at gunpoint, and we get one of the most harrowing moments in series history.

Well, first, we get Ralph trying to turn the tables on Petrie, only to have the fact that he's wielding a water pistol revealed. This leads to one of the better bits of physical comedy the show ever did:


Eventually Norton gets trapped, too. You know slowing the video down and doing these screencaps really shows how awesome Art Carney is.


It becomes almost uncomfortable when we see Alice and Ed tied up, with Alice in particular suffering with anguish as she thinks her hubby is getting pummeled. I mean, was there ever a more disturbing moment in 'Mooners annals?



Yet the tables turn in that never-seen bedroom, and it's Ralph who does the working over. What a great moment this is for our hero, who saves the day and possibly a few lives.



I was amazed the first time I saw this but pleasantly surprised. I don't think I've ever been prouder of Ralphie Boy, He's not just a "sweet kid," but he can handle himself in a scrape, too! Way to go, Ralph! This probably earned him at least 4 or 5 more failed get-rich schemes.

I will say that each time Ralph gives Ed the gun and lets him lead the crooks to the authorities, no matter how times I have seen it, I still think Norton is gonna screw it up and let them get away. Fortunately, that becomes the episode's final surprise!



Overall, there is a lot to enjoy in "Trapped," and it is one of my favorites. I like the odd moments, the unusual sense of peril, and the fact that Ralph gets such a shining moment at the end.