Sunday, April 1, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #104

1) MLB.TV: Because baseball is BACK, baby! Blackout rules still stink, though.

2) Filmstruck: I was set to drop this one a bit since I had time to watch "only" The Westerner and a few shorts on here. But The Westerner is very good! Furthermore, Filmstruck keeps adding things--this week, 'Fish Out of Water Comedies" like Local Hero and My Favorite Year, Ben-Hur in time for Easter, and more.

3) Amazon Prime: The nunsploitation comedy The Little Hours might be amusing, and The Dangeroud Book for Boys is an intriguing original series. One of these days I promise I am going to try Bosch, which is back for season 4 and has already been renewed for a season 5. But Prime is rated high this week on the basis of the totally awesome 1983 comedy Joysticks, about which I hope to write more soon.

4) Hulu: In addition to gaining movies like The Karate Kid for April 1, Hulu added all 12 (!) seasons of NYPD Blue as part of its catalog deal with Fox.

5) Netflix: The April 1 catalog dump isn't inspiring, but check out all the original stuff coming in April. More importantly, I saw a really funny episode of Cheers, which is enough to make me forgive Netflix for giving the world Fuller House and putting it in the Kids section where my own could find it.

6) NBC: Hey, did I mention that in addition to Punky Brewster, NBC's app also added Saved by the Bell: The New Class.? No?

OK, OK, but at least it's something. What did your app add in the last few weeks? Plus I used NBC a lot this week for research for Battle of the Network Shows (season 4 coming soon!)

7) HBO: I love that they gave Judd Apatow the airtime and resources to put together a Garry Shandling documentary, and I am gonna have to get a month or at least a trial of HBO to see it.

8) The Roku Channel: It's added some of the Carsey-Werner sitcoms like Third Rock From the Sun and Cybill to its expanding roster of TV shows.

9) Boomerang: My trial subscription/fantastic 3-month deal expired, so farewell for now, Boomerang. I will put together a mini-review of sorts soon. I am promising a lot this week, aren't I?

10) Warner Archive Instant: I said I would rank it as long as it stuck around, and I have almost a month more to watch it, but I am penalizing it by dropping it this week even though I am still using it a lot. Why? Well, seeing how good and active Filmstruck is angers me because WAI should have received the same kind of attention, the same "TCM Select" branding, etc.

No comments: