Saturday, April 28, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings #108

1) Hulu: I've been watching Gotham and Brooklyn Nine-Nine here, but I am also looking forward to the new Hulu original documentary about Barbie. Handmaid's Tale is still the flagship original, and it is getting excellent reviews. As if that weren't enough (and, hey, it isn't enough; I mean, we're all paying for this, so why not ask for more),  several older series are getting the ol' streaming treatment from me as I get ready for more Battle of the Network Shows episodes.

2) Netflix: I wasn't feeling well one night, and it was nice to be able to just put on a Frasier and relax, no muss, no fuss. In other news, a bunch of Disney stuff is leaving in May, and that's bad. However, there are plenty of premieres this week. Candy Jar is about a high school debate team, which sounds like a tired premise and--wait, Christina Hendricks is in it? Hmm...

The CW/Netflix deal actually has me watching less CW because those shows appear so quickly on here. There is a new Sandler/Rock movie, and it probably sucks but will be one of the most viewed things on the SVOD all month. And, er, ah, I am, er, ah, intrigued by the RFK docuseries because even though I am weary of Kennedy mythology, I enjoy political history docs. Another interesting bit of news: Netflix is creating a podcast based on its true crime docuseries like Making a Murderer.

3) Disney Now: My kids were delighted to discover the entire run of XD sitcom Kickin' It on here months after it left Netflix. At a minimum, that Disney paid service that's coming should have everything on Disney Now. At a minimum. I still worry it's gonna be stingy. Witness all the titles leaving Netflix in May, like the Favreau Jungle Book that premiered on Netflix less than a year and a half ago. That Netflix/Disney deal was cool but not nearly as extensive as many thought. I'm betting that's Disney's doing.

4) Filmstruck: I will probably not sign on right away now that my trial has expired, but it's not because I don't love Filmstruck. I just have a ton of other stuff to watch and have to give this one a break. It will be back, though, and this week it added Busby Berkley flicks, a ton of Ozu movies, and Star of the Week Marlon Brando (including TCM Select addition A Streetcar Named Desire).

As for me, I saw The Goodbye Girl and The Sunshine Boys. I guess it was Herbert Ross Week at Cultureshark Tower.

5) Warner Archive Instant: Consider this a final goodbye to the perennial underachiever that still brought me much joy over the last few years. I went out watching some Dr. Kildare, a show I grew to love after discovering it here. I make another plea for Warner or someone to provide a home for the rare vintage TV that was prominent on WAI.

6) WWE Network: Hey, whaddya know, thanks to a spectacular deal, I am a subscriber again. The bloated Saudi Arabia-set cash grab event it aired Friday wasn't great, but it was content. Personally I enjoyed the Bruno Sammartino tribute special it unveiled Monday and will be happy watching old stuff into the summer.

7) YouTube: When I got an old Rainbow Brite jingle in my head and wanted to play it for my on kids, where did I turn? My own personal collection? Nope. YouTube. I'm also pleased that Lou Grant episodes are still here.

8) HBO Go/HBO Now: I finally saw La La Land thanks to HBO. Barry is getting great reviews, and even when  there is bad Game of Thrones news--like another reminder that the novels are never gonna be finished--it seems to only stir interest in the return of the TV series.

9) IFC: There isn't a lot going on here, but the great Brockmire is back, and I was able to see the second-season premiere free of charge, so that is a big plus right there.

10) My Retro Flix: After months of inaction, this channel added a bunch of old Our Gang shorts. It sneaks into the top 10 by reminding us it exists.



No comments: