Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cultureshark Remembers Ivan Dixon

TV's Ivan Dixon passed away a few weeks ago, so by now you probably recognize the name if you didn't at first. If not, bear with me as I relate a brief story.

A while back, I had the opportunity, in a professional capacity, to view Dixon in the 1964 film "Nothing But a Man." Never having heard of the movie, I was pleasantly surprised to see he was the star. "Cool," I thought, and I soon shared the news with a colleague. "Hey, Kinchloe from Hogan's Heroes is in this one," I e-mailed her. She didn't recognize the character name. "Kinchloe?" she replied. "Is he the black one?"

I had to chuckle then, just as I do now, because most people would have the same reaction. Ivan Dixon wasn't given much chance to do a whole lot on "Hogan's Heroes," but it's unfortunate that people don't recognize even the name "Kinchloe," let alone "Ivan Dixon." And as even a cursory look at his IMDB page reveals, Dixon was a heck of a lot more than just "the black guy on Hogan's Heroes."

Take "Nothing But a Man." I was both astonished by how good that movie was and embarrassed for not being even remotely aware of it. Dixon's great in a portrait of a young black man who tries to avoid compromising his beliefs, his identity, and his basic humanity while dealing with the external and internal pressures that confront African-Americans in the southern U.S. It's a brilliant movie, and Dixon carries it with ease even as his character reacts to an uneasy world.

Ivan Dixon also directed feature films and a bunch of TV shows in his accomplished career in the industry. But this isn't to say he has anything to apologize for his TV acting. In a little mini-tribute after his passing, I watched "The Prince from the Phone Company," a rare Kinch-centric "Hogan's Heroes" installment in which Dixon also played an African prince. Hijinkis ensue as Kinchloe impersonates him and the gang tricks the Nazis yet again. It's a fun first-season episode that gives Dixon a dual role, a love interest of sorts, and a nice spotlight to show off his charm.

I followed that up by viewing Dixon in a fine "Twilight Zone" episode, "The Big Tall Wish." Buried under some "battered fighter" makeup, he stands out as a cynical boxer who scoffs at a young boy's belief in the simple power of hope. The episode is available as a free stream at CBS.com.

I don't have a Retro Television Network affiliate in my area yet, but I read that they put together a little tribute to Dixon consisting of a few "Hogan's Heroes" episodes. While it would have been nice if they could have been a little creative, considering the wide variety of shows in which he appeared, kudos to RTN for stepping up with the kind of class gesture TV Land used to do.

No comments: