Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This Week in DVD

For those of you who aren't looking for "Grand Theft Auto" at the stores this week...

Cloverfield: Rumble. Jitter. Quake. Take your pick: The camera, the city, your stomach. That's what "Cloverfield" boils down to. But hey, I haven't actually seen the movie, so I could be wrong. I just know I'll be glad to see it at home where I don't have to run up the aisles and into the lobby if my gut revolts.

27 Dresses: Remember that Bruce Springsteen song, "27 Dresses and nothin' on?" That's not how it went? Well, it conjures up a better image of this Katherine Heigl chick flick than what made it to theaters.

Cheers Season 9: I have nothing notable to say about the ninth season, but it's good to see it's here. It's amazing that fans of the show actually feared it was abandoned on DVD. If a classic like "Cheers" could be abandoned on DVD, folks...then GOD HELP US ALL.

Burke's Law Season 1 Part 1: This fun detective show starred Gene Barry as a playboy police dick who solved murders each week while interacting with a host of guest stars. It's so cool to see this one out on DVD that I won't make an issue out of VCI following the Paramount Way and resorting to split-season sets.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: I'm always up front with my readers, and this post is no exception: This Julian Schnabel film drew rapturous reviews and awards recognition. And months later, I still have no desire to see it.

Forgotten Noir Collection 3: Speaking of VCI, they come back with another set of oldies but not necessarily noiries. But who cares if they're cranking out otherwise unseen crime films and thrillers at reasonable prices?

The Golden Compass: If Nicole Kidman=Box Office Poison, Nicole Kidman + Daniel Craig must = Box Office Anthrax.

No comments: