Sunday, November 9, 2008

Blue Morning, Blue Day

Congratulations to the Penn State Nittany Lions on a great National Championship run, one which, sadly, is likely kaput after yesterday's 24-23 loss to Iowa. Now, I'm not going to argue that PSU still belongs in the top handful of elite teams that deserves a title shot, but I am disappointed that the upset will only "prove" to Big Ten haters how weak the conference is. In the SEC or Big 12, a top-ranked team losing by one point on the road to a team with a top-ten scoring defense would be seen as evidence of "how deep the league is." In Penn State's case, it's seen as evidence that the top teams in the league are overrated.

Oh, well. It was a good season. I say "was" because while I'll be thrilled if the Nits can win out, go 11-1, win the conference, and play in a BCS bowl, at this moment it's anticlimactic after thinking about championship scenarios the last few weeks. This is the problem with college football: one loss, and it's over. It's going to be difficult for me to muster much enthusiasm for the title picture now that my team is all but out of it. In a different world, Penn State would have a chance to make a playoff system as the Big Ten representative, and there would still be hope.

Now, as commentator Bob Griese said on the broadcast yesterday, it's time to "wish" for the Rose Bowl. Yippee. The Most Boring of All Bowls, as I call it, is not much of a prize to me. Don't get me wrong, though, it's still a fantastic season for Penn State, especially considering most observers had the university going 8-4 or 9-3 at best.

We just need a playoff. Normally, I think government needs to butt out of sports and stay out, but in this case, hell with it--let's get it done, President-elect Obama!

No comments: