Sunday, November 16, 2008

Night at the Museum 2? Really?

Oh, I'm not surprised that there IS a sequel to the Ben Stiller comedy smash. I'm surprised that people are looking forward to it. At least, they are according to a segment I heard on the radio the other day. Between tunes, the jock was talking about a survey that asked moviegoers what 2009 films they were most excited to see.

Of the 5 he named, I think all were sequels except for the Michael Mann/Johnny Depp pic "Public Enemies." Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one, too. And I can't fault "the people" for wanting to see the next Harry Potter epic. But how did "Night at the Museum 2" come in at number 5? Were there only 5 films listed in the survey?

Hey, I could be wrong here, but I assumed that while the first one made a couple-three million, it was one of those fluke things where families just needed a comedy to see and it happened to be in the right place at the right time. Guess I should know better. Apparently, when a film grosses a couple-three million bucks, a good portion of the public actually likes that film and would pay to see a sequel.

I don't have anything against those who loved "Night at the Museum," but I just can't see why anyone would get hyped for a follow-up. Maybe that disc jockey was just making stuff up. Well, if he was, at least he had the good taste to give "Public Enemies" a plug.

No comments: