Sunday, January 25, 2009

On the Radio: Bread "Everything I Own" and "If"

Who are the sensitive soft-rockers of today? The Fray? Keane? Coldplay?

Well, the Super Seventies Superstar Band known as Bread makes all of those bands look like Motorhead.

I don't really have much to say about Bread as a group or "Everything I Own" as a song, but today, just two days after my last Bread experience, I heard "If," and, folks, let me tell you, nothing stokes the romantic fires like listening to that song with your wife in the car. At least, I think it was a romantic reaction when she responded with convulsive laughter as I tried to warble the high notes in that song, then the higher ones, then the highest at the end.

I wonder if any radio DJ anywhere at any time ever introduced one of their records with a big round of snappy patter. You know, something like this, delivered in an obnoxious "radio guy" voice:

It's the witching hour on YOUR rock station, WHICH means it's PARTY TIME, and I just have one question for you: Are you hungry for some rock and roll? Well, let me satisfy that hunger, daddy, with a big, old helping of BREAD!

And then we go right into "If." To me, that would be the best song introduction of all time.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

My first experience hearing Everything I Own wasn't listening to the Bread version, but a cover of it that came out in 1976 by a country artist named Joe Stampley (the former lead singer of the Uniques, who had a minor hit with All These Things). To this day, I still prefer his version over the better-known Bread take.