Monday, January 19, 2009

TNT: We Know Essentially Lighthearted Comedies with Dramatic Elements

Last week, I heard a few radio ads for TNT: We Know Drama. The ads were virtually identical except they switched the order of the shows they were hyping.

First up: New series "Trust Me," starring Eric McCormack and Tom Cavanaugh as ad guys. " In introducing us to these gents, the announcer makes assertions about the characters which they then disprove with their own dialogue snippets. Oh, so ironic and funny, right? And in case we miss the point that this is funny, TNT helps us by playing "Feelin' Alright" in the background throughout, the universal musical shorthand for "off-kilter and irreverent" reinforcing the wackiness in store for us.

Then it's the hit show "The Closer." We're told that Kyra Sedgwick's Bobbie Jean Sugarbush (or whatever her name is) can chase down criminals...but can she walk down that aisle? Apparently there's a wedding in The Closer's future. Or is there? Again, in case we miss the comic overtones, there's another clue: a clip of The Closer playfully asking someone something like, "Are y'all ready for a little confession?"

TNT: They know drama?

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Okay, this is sort of off-topic but regarding this Shark Bite:

Amazon had a fantastic pre-order deal on Shout Factory's "Room 222" Season 1 DVD--about 11 bucks--and though I haven't seen the series in years and don't much remember it, I figured it was worth it at that price. Only hitch: Even with that great a deal, the idea of not getting the free shipping killed me, so I deliberated over what else to buy to get over the $25 threshold. I deliberated for a day or two...so long that I missed the deal. There's a lesson in here somewhere.

Amazon.com did this one other time (they offered what was then the complete Frasier set for some $60-$70) and when they realized their mistake, sent people who pre-ordered it (this would be me) a weasel letter saying, in basic terms, "We're Amazon.com and we do whatever the f**k we please" instead of honoring the boo-boo price. So while I did pre-order the Room 222 set at the $10.99 price, I'm expecting the other shoe to drop any day now.

Rick Brooks said...

I am bummed about missing the deal, but I'll take no solace in you and everyone else getting screwed out of it. I hope your orders go through.

Scamazon is possibly the one etailer--one of the few retailers, actually--with whom I have had no troubles, but you prove they're prone to acts of weaselry, too. What a crock.