Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Entertainment returns to FamilyNet TV

Well, not that "inspirational" programming can't be entertaining, but...ah, let's just say that this small inspirational channel has apparently altered its programming focus somewhat, devoting a big chunk of its schedule now to entertainment programs (albeit ones with family appeal) instead of the religious-based fare that had been (and still is if you consider the whole schedule) its staple.

When I first got this channel a few years ago, it was running oldies like "My Little Margie," "Life with Elizabeth," and "I Married Joan," but not that often, and mostly in low-profile timeslots. At some point last year or so, it phased most of those out, and I tuned out of FamilyNet. The addition of "I Spy" didn't do much for me, and for a while that and "The Loretta Young Show" pretty much filled the "secular" spots in the lineup.

Now, however, as part of what it calls "Families on FamilyNet," you can see "Happy Days," "Family Ties," and "Early Edition," (I don't know if I get that last one, but I think it's relatively wholesome, so it's Family enough), all in prime time. Best of all, though, is what kicks off this new lineup at 6:00 PM, then is repeated at 2:00 AM for the night owls: A double shot of "My Three Sons," the color Uncle Charley years.

I'm not terribly interested in the other shows right now, though I think it's nice to have "Ties" on somewhere, at least, and I might check out the occasional "Happy Days" rerun, but I'm glad the "Sons" are back on TV. I don't know if FamilyNet looks at ratings the same way other networks do, but if this philosophy works out for them, maybe we'll see more "selling out" and maybe some more adventurous (read: older) family-oriented sitcoms like "Donna Reed" or "Father Knows Best."

No comments: