Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy birthday, Mr. President...

Happy Birthday to Abraham Lincoln, who is definitely in my top couple dozen or favorite presidents and rebounded from assassination to star in such movies as "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

If only one could walk into a bookstore and, perhaps desirous of learning more about the man, find something to read about him. If only...

Seriously, I was in a Borders today and there were almost as many Lincoln volumes as there were employees running around trying to look busy. I think the approximate breakdown of books in that entire store went like this. Now, I was only there for a half-hour and didn't do a thorough count, so take the numbers with a grain of corn--good, hearty corn such as that which Lincoln himself might have grown.

27%--Books about A. Lincoln
18%--Books of or about the 'Twilight" franchise
16%--Books by, about, or that "inspired" President Obama
13%--Children's books
and
26%--Everything else.

And just think, some of those children's books are probably about Honest Abe, too.

I have a few Lincoln books at home myself, and even a few unread ones I've been meaning to get to, but, gosh, the amount of material out there is staggering. Yet--and I've bemoaned this before--not one single Wallace Beery bio out there on the shelves. Are we really celebrating Abraham Lincoln's legacy in the right way?

No comments: