Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Good-bye, Varsity TV. I hardly knew ye.

I got a message on my FIOS TV menu last a few weeks ago that Varsity TV is gone. I'd like to give it a proper tribute, talk about how it will be missed, etc., but really I can't believe it's been around this long.

In the two years or so I've seen it--well, "seen" indicates watching, so maybe "had" it is more accurate--I think this channel aired 3 programs. I remember something called "John Something Private Eye," then there was something called "Prague Diaries," then there was some kind of show about extreme sports. And Varsity TV ran these over and over and over again. At least this is what I gleaned from the program listings. I think each time I flipped it to this channel, some black and white low-budget show was on. Maybe it was the private eye thing.

I think a cable network targeting college students and even with-it high-schoolers is a great idea, but I'm not sure what Varsity TV was doing. It claimed to be about teens and by teens and for teens, but I never saw any of that Channels like that are the ones that make people think there really are too many out there.

Apparently FIOS agrees with that sentiment because as of today, it has replaced Varsity TV in the lineup with...nothing.

No comments: