Monday, March 9, 2009

5Q Movie Review: Vicky Christina Barcelona

Q: So, uh, Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson. They, uh...kiss, huh?
A: Settle down, Beavis. Yes, the brief sapphic smooching did draw all the attention (at least before the Academy Award nominations came out), but it is BRIEF smooching. I'm telling you right now, don't rent or buy "Vicky" just for this, or you'll be disappointed. The movie suggests sexiness without actually delivering much of it.

Not that I'm telling you from experience.

Q: Speaking of awards, did Penelope Cruz deserve her Best Supporting Actress Oscar?
A: I can only say she gives the movie much of its oomph. I'd even say most of its oomph. I'd break it down like this: 45% of the oomph: Javier Bardem. 55% of the oomph: Penelope Cruz. Cruz gives an entertaining, magnetic performance as Bardem's rather...volatile ex. However, she shows up later in the movie and appears less than you might expect.

Still, the Spanish characters drive this comedy-drama. I didn't find it all that exciting, partly because the American characters were so inert. They spend the movie deliberating and self-doubting while the Spaniards spend it living. That's kind of the point, but it makes the movie rather flat sometimes.

I found myself wanting more Cruz and Bardem and not as much of Scarlett Johansson and the main character played by Rebecca Hall.

Q: Rebecca Hall? Wait, she's the lead character? Wait, she's IN it?
A: Yes on both counts. If I were her, I'd be a little miffed about how things worked out. I don't know if she was even on the posters. But, yeah, she's ostensibly the lead. I found her much more appealing when I saw her recently as an entirely different character in "Starter for Ten," but, hey, it's Woody Allen's movie, and he did what he wanted to do.

Q: Does Barcelona look awesome in this movie?
A: It sure does. The story is thin, but you can't help but be charmed by watching attractive people in attractive locales.

Q: Do the extras on the DVD shed any light on what Woody is going for?
A: Surely you jest. One of the reasons I'll always make posts about Woody DVDs "5Q Movie Reviews" instead of "Journey Into DVD"s is that his discs never have any extras. The movie is pretty much it.

No comments: