Saturday, March 28, 2009

Journey into DVD: Quick first impression of Room 222

There is nothing bad per se about Shout Factory's new "Room 222" set except maybe the disappointing video and audio quality. The bad thing for me is that I missed out on that super-cheap pre-order price Amazon offered for a while. I rented disc 1 from Netflix this week, not having seen the show in a looooong time and having few memories of the reruns. I look forward to reading the thoughts of more learned individuals, but so far, this one really impresses me.

By the end of the first episode, I cared for the characters, was into the story, and just generally felt good about life in general. Aspects of "Room 222" may seem dated today--the first episode has a lot of that well-meaning liberal (with a small "l") humor of white people awkwardly trying to prove to noble black people how tolerant of black people they are--but I find its charm and gentle humor refreshing. It lacks what just about any sitcom today must have to get on the air: Edge.

"Room 222" deals with issues, but it deals with them in a respectful, earnest manner. The jokes, even the ones that mock educational conventions and institutions, are more sincere than cutting, as everyone's heart is in the right place.

If this sounds boring, well, I guess you don't like a lot of old TV. There's a place for sarcasm, snark, and shock, but "Room 222" is a welcome throwback, and if anyone wants to complain that the show is a little high-minded or it doesn't reflect "reality," well, fine. All I know is I find this version of the late sixties a pleasant one to experience, and I hope Shout brings more seasons to video. I can live with the subpar prints as long as they're uncut episodes.

No comments: