Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Warner Archives

3 things I like about the new Warner Archives program that has the Internet buzzing:

1) Selection: If just about everything is going to available through this program eventually, that's obviously great news. The fact is, I'm happy just watching a lot of old movies on TCM. But many don't have DVD recorders or just like owning copies of their favorite films, and plus Turner Classic Movies, great as it is, doesn't show everything from the vaults--not by a long shot.

2) Emphasis on classics: A cool aspect of this story is it's giving classic movies (read: OLD movies) a nice wave of pub. News outlets are emphasizing the amount of stuff that isn't on video, which is a good reminder for people that groan that "EVERYTHING must be on DVD by NOW." At a time when places like Best Buy aren't expending much effort on showcasing vintage films, it's nice to see an effort made to provide the material and keep it alive.

3) Warners is doing it: If any big studio is gonna do this kind of DVD-on-demand thing and start a precedent or two, I'm sure glad it's WB. There are gonna be bumps in the road for a while, but the company, George Feltenstein in particular, have a lot of great ideas here: Not putting junky transfers out, giving consumers a chance to watch clips and preview the titles, etc. I believe this program will be carried out with class and respect for the fans. Many people might disagree when these movies start coming out on retail releases at a lower price point, but...

3 things I don't like about this:

1) The price point: 20 bucks is way too high for me, especially for movies I haven't seen. Call me spoiled, but I'm used to getting DVDs with bonuses, DVDs on pressed (not burned) discs, for much less money. I've already cut back on what I spend on movie DVDs (I prefer TV box sets and movie box sets that offer good overall value), and I can't afford shelling out bucks for even the cool old titles that will be on the way with this initiative.

2) Bye bye, box sets?: Speaking of those box sets, Warners claims this is not replacing its retail release programs. But in the first assortment of available titles, I see some Cary Grant movies. In a chat with HTF members last night, studio reps said there were no plans for another Gangsters set, and that we should look for Bogart, Robinson, Cagney, and Raft in the Archives. Well...yay. But I'd rather see those movies for less than 20 bucks a pop. I'd really rather see them in their own dedicated box sets.

The Warner Archives is a great idea if it supplements and expands on the conventional DVD releases, but not if it replaces. Yes, lots of discs are still planned for retail this year, including a fifth Noir set. But looking at that chat, I can't help but be discouraged by all the "Look for __ in the Archives" answers in response to questions about stars and titles. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by announcements of upcoming retail releases.

What does this say about the hobby of collecting movies on DVD? Maybe I was a fool to even dream of an affordable mass-market Wallace Beery Collection. But at the risk of sounding pessimistic, if Warners can't make Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant or even John Garfield (relegated to the Archives according to the chat) work on "regular" DVD, where are we with DVD?

3) No rentals?: OK, here's where my true cheapo nature comes out. I already complained about the 20 bucks a pop, but I must admit I really like to rent a lot of movies, not buy them. It doesn't seem that Netflix will be an outlet for these movies. It's been a nice luxury picking and choosing the WB titles I want to own while merely "borrowing" the others, sometimes using the rental process to sample things I might buy later (though I'll level with you; if there's a legit chance I might buy something, I usually won' t bother renting it at all).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Films from the Warner Archives will be available for rental from classicflix.com.

Rick Brooks said...

Classicflix sounds pretty good (I'm curious as to how fast their shipping is, though--aren't they on the west coast?), but I don't care for their pricing structure. I don't know if I could get value from them like I do with Netflix, though this of course (and the many DVD-Rs they already carry) bolsters their selection of classic movies.